Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Oprah's Pick: Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"

Oprah Winfrey has always had excellent taste in books and her latest book club pick is just further proof. Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" was one of the most acclaimed books of 2006 and on most every Ten Best list for the year. (It certainly would have been on mine.) I think this just bumped up the possibility of the book being turned into a movie. It'll be fascinating to see what the ornery, private author is like with Oprah on TV (his first TV interview they say, though I thought he was on "60 Minutes" once). And I can't wait to find out what Oprah thought of the ending.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a great book -- and any time that is the case the natural inclination is to imagine what the movie would look like. Who do you picture as the lead?

Michael in New York said...

The kid or the man? I don't usually think about casting too much? Who were you picturing?

Anonymous said...

The man. I think my first choice might be George Clooney, followed by Johnny Depp or Don Cheadle.

Tom Hanks would have been perfect for it about 5/10 years ago (I see the part as a mix of his roles in Road to Perdition and Cast Away).

Ryan Gosling would be great for it 5/10 years from now.

Beyond that, I could see a lot of actors fitting the role. Christian Bale, Daniel Craig, Matt Damon, maybe even Will Smith would all be acceptable.

For various reasons, I don't think any of the following "Usual Suspects" would be right for the role: Crowe, Cruise, Affleck, DiCaprio, Law, Cage, Penn, Clive Owen, Maguire, Ledger, Gyllenhal, Terrence Howard.

Michael in New York said...

Why not Sean Penn? I thought by law he would have to be considered great for anything.

Anonymous said...

He certainly has the intensity needed for the role but I guess I viewed him as being a little old for the part by the time they actually get around to filming. But given the circumstances, his weathered look is probably ideal.

Anonymous said...

So I bought this book last night and read it in one sitting. (I also took off the Oprah Bookclub sticker and Penciled in "The Michael Bookclub")

Anyway, an amazing book that scared the bejezzus out of me. Not much else to say.

And I'm going with Christian Bale for the lead on this one. Following his role in the The Machinist, I think he'd do a good job.