Monday, March 26, 2007

The Secret Of "The Secret"

It's very hard not to blog. Don't I need to tell people the weekend box office and express my amazement that "The Last Mimzy" made $10 million? I just couldn't picture anyone other than an eight year old saying, "One for 'The Last Mimzy' please.'" I feel silly even typing it. Watch my astonishment if this poorly reviewed film doesn't drop next weekend. (Why don't people just go see "Bridge To Terabithia" instead?) Don't I need to break down the overnight ratings and tell you that reruns of serialized dramas are dead when even a red-hot show like "Grey's Anatomy" only reached 6.5 million viewers -- about 25% of its typical audience. Dramas running for six months are a thing of the past; networks need to realize that and schedule all of them the way they do "Lost" and "24." That means they need twice as many shows to fill their schedules of course. Oh and the "Grease: You're The One That I Want" finale barely moved the dial -- it reached a typical 6.78 million viewers. I loved how the judges were AMAZED when Max won the role of Danny, even though all three of them pushed for him. Austin just did NOT look like anything remotely resembling Danny and the poor guy's macho, body builder stance (with his arms manfully poised at his side) bespoke someone uncomfortable in their skin (to me). But th most fun of all was Max's beauty queen reaction to winning: his hands flew to his mouth and then he immediately turned to his opponent with a look of sorrow. "Grease" is a show that doesn't need stars, really, in the short term, but without a lot of imagination from director Kathleen Marshall it's gonna be tough not to feel this is a roadshow version.

But I couldn't resist blogging to tell you there's a book deal for a title called "The Secret Of 'The Secret,' " a book about a book that looks at the silly claims of the "The Secret" and wonders if the power of positive thinking really works and whether Einstein et al were really in on The Secret. A book about 'The Da Vinci Code' makes sense; there are lots of historical things to toss around. But why would anyone who hasn't read "The Secret" want to read this? And if they have read "The Secret" and liked it, why would they want it debunked? If they didn't like it, why do they need someone else to tell them what they already know? I may not pay my rent, but at least I don't have to work on foolishness like this.

Just interviewed Kevin Spacey, but in 40 minutes I felt I barely scratched the surface. Definitely looking forward to seeing "Moon For The Misbegotten," though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I've had my Popsurfing fix!! Umm, when are you posting again?

Michael in New York said...

Well, going cold turkey didn't work, so soon.

Anonymous said...

You just interviewed Kevin Spacey. I just had a tuna melt. Hmm, somehow my life didn't turn out as planned.

Michael in New York said...

I don't know; tuna melts can be awfully tasty.