Thursday, March 01, 2007

Overnight TV Ratings -- "Lights" Weakens

A second week of facing "American Idol" and new episodes of "Jericho" and especially a new season premiere of "America's Next Top Model" has steamrolled "Friday Night Lights." (I'm assuming despite the sports theme that the show is popular with teen girls because of its soapy nature and sexy cast.) It's lost about 1.3 million viewers from its Tuesday night average since moving to Wednesday and ranks last in total viewers AND adults 18-49. The quality remains as top-notch as ever, but this definitely doesn't help as NBC makes its final decision. "Idol" was of course a monster and people still tuned into the slower than molasses game show "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" "Lost" held steady and -- while I won't comment on the quality -- it is telling that the simple fact they were doing a show that featured Hurley and Charlie and Sayid and so on was worthy of a story in USA Today. Was anyone surprised that Kate was meeting up with the crazy French woman? I'm not sure why they acted as if the person she was trying to find was going to be a surprise. The once-lauded "Knights Of Prosperity" is officially dead -- they just haven't announced it yet. "Idol," by the way, is down ever so slightly from the similar stretch of shows last season. Perhaps the show is reaching its ceiling but still season to season I think it will still be up, especially given the level of quality in the performers. For a complete ratings breakdown, go to MediaWeek's Marc Berman.


8 p.m.
1. American Idol -- 28.99 million viewers
2. Jericho -- 8.70 million million
3. America's Next Top Model (season premiere) -- 5.37 million
4. George Lopez -- 6.13 million/The Knights Of Prosperity -- 4.27 million
5. Friday Night Lights -- 5.13 million

9 p.m.
1. American Idol -- 28.99 million/Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? -- 23.50 mil
2. Criminal Minds -- 14.90 million
3. Deal Or No Deal -- 9.34 million
4. America's Next Top Model (season premiere) -- 5.37 million
5. According To Jim -- 5.11 million/In Case Of Emergency -- 4.62 million

10 p.m.
1. CSI: NY -- 14.04 million
2. Lost -- 12.77 million
3. Medium -- 7.68 million

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "level of quality" of the performances in American Idol? Are you talking about THIS season -surely not.......You obviously have not been watching the pitiful "talent" of this year's Idol. Sure, they have some that stand out (I can think of perhaps 4 total), but this year is pitiful. I've been an avid A.I. fan since Season 2 - this year I don't even have a favorite, I can't get into any of their personalities (those that have them) like in the previous seasons. Perhaps that will change in the next few weeks but as far as this year's "level of quality of the performers", I beg to differ with you. And as far as the Knights of Prosperity, this show is one of the best comedies on TV -the most unique, that's for sure. So refreshing. The reviews have all been great, but since A.I. has decided to hog 2-3 nights a week now, new comedies attempting to compete just will not have the ratings. But it's far from "dead". There's hope for a Season 2 if indeed they can get a better time slot. Now, I beg you to actually watch American Idol next week. Especially the guys - ARUGH.......

Michael in New York said...

Hey anonymous. This item is on ratings. I didn't comment on the quality of "The Knights Of Prosperity," just the fact that the ratings have been dropping drastically week to week, and not just because of the presence of Idol. Though Idol is def the 800 lb gorilla in the room that makes it very hard for other networks to launch shows. My own Friday Night Lights is great, but getting crushed by the Idol juggernaut and is in dire circumstances. This isn't a comment on how good it is; it's a comment on the ratings. I'm afraid the same is true of Knights. Looking over its numbers, I find it hard to point out any good news. The same is true for 30 Rock, but that show has the official endorsement of the network for a season two. I haven't seen KOP reviewed since the debut of the show terribly much. The pilot was absolutely lauded, but since then I think they've floundered a bit creatively. Without Mick Jagger's participation they had to revamp the entire show and bring in celeb guests. But whatver we think of it, the show isn't showing many signs of life, I'm afraid. If you like it, I hope for your sake it comes back. But I wouldn't get your hopes up. Hey, I loved Freaks & Geeks and that only got one season too. It's rare enough to find a show that's good even for just one year. As for Idol, we just disagree. I've given detailed breakdowns of all their performances, so you know I love Melinda. I think she's sensational. And when I can point to three or four serious contenders (Melinda, laKisha -- who surprised me this week -- and a handful of other gals who could grow as well as a guy or two, like Chris Sligh), well, that's a very good season. If just TWO people prove lasting talents, that's great. But I do think the depth seems stronger this year at this stage than in previous Idols. Often, once the final 12 begins, I think, my God, are these really the 12 best we could find? And I may have the same reaction this year. People who look good compared to awful singers like Antonella, suddenly look weak on their own. And sadly, I'm afraid I've seen every single episode of Idol since day one of season one, as well as many episodes of Pop Idol from the UK before the concept even came here, so my wrongheaded opinions are based on actually watching the show, which makes me even more of an idiot, doesn't it?