Friday, February 23, 2007

The Top 10 Books Of All Time, Per Famous Writers

The full poll, presumably with breakdowns of the Top 10 books by author, is out next month. George Eliot's "Middlemarch" was the only novel by a woman in the top 10. But the BBC says the top 5 is as follows:

1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
2. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
3. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
4. Lolita by Valdimir Nabokov
5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
6. Hamlet by Bill Shakespeare

Sadly, I've only read three of the top 6 (and didn't care for "Madame Bovary"). I still have Anna Karenina, War & Peace and Lolita to look forward to. Hey, at least I own copies of them -- that has to count for something, right? And where's "Don Quixote?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the Count of Monte Cristo makes the Top 10.

Michael in New York said...

So did I, Ed, but apparently some of these writers can't read the rules. By the way, I assumed you'd say, "I always liked Leo Tolstoy." You disappoint me.

Good lord, Joe that's not even the best book by Dumas. Have you read the new translation of The Three Musketeers? Great fun, but not nearly as busty as the 70s movie version with Raquel Welch.