Just because Sperling is playing in Europe doesn't mean you shouldn't get an update on the worldwide box office. Here are the biggest films of the week ending June 16. Remember, we are talking about the worldwide box office. And unlike everyone else, we don't just look at the grosses from the last four days for new movies (which usually open on Thursday) or the grosses from the last three days for movies that have been out for a week or more. We add up all the grosses for the ENTIRE week. And that tells a surprisingly different story.
If you listen to everyone else, the #1 movie at the box office worldwide has changed every single week for the past four weeks. They've been:
Week ending May 26, 2019 -- ALADDIN
Week ending June 2, 2019 -- GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS
Week ending June 9, 2019 -- DARK PHOENIX
Week ending June 16, 2019 -- MEN IN BLACK: INTERNATIONAL
But if you look at the total box office for the entire week (and remember, this is summer time when weekday box office is especially robust), if you add up the money made Monday through Sunday rather than just the money made over the weekend, here's what you find....
Week ending May 26, 2019 -- ALADDIN!
Week ending June 2, 2019 -- ALADDIN!!
Week ending June 9, 2019 -- ALADDIN!!!
Week ending June 16, 2019 -- ALADDIN!!!!
Yes, Aladdin has been the most popular movie in the world for the past four weeks. That's going to change next week when Toy Story 4 jumps to the top of the charts. But Aladdin's dominance is notable and it's a story you hear ONLY from Showbiz Sandbox. Here is our chart listing the top grossing movies worldwide for the ENTIRE week ending June 16. Enjoy! And we'll see you next week!
WEEK OF JUNE 16 SHOWBIZ SANDBOX WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE CHARTS FOR THE PREVIOUS SEVEN DAYS
- ALADDIN ($180mb) (Fourth week in a row) -- $120m/ $725m (week/total)
- MEN IN BLACK INTERNATIONAL ($110mb -- $102m (opening week)
- DARK PHOENIX ($200mb) -- $ 60m/ $204m
- SECRET LIFE OF PETS 2 ($80mb) -- $ 57m/ $155m
- GODZILLA KING MONSTERS ($170mb) -- $ 47m/ $340m
- ROCKETMAN ($40mb) -- $ 31m/ $133m
- JOHN WICK 3 ($75m + $40m p&a) -- $ 24m/ $276m
- MY BEST SUMMER (Chi rom dram) -- $ 19m/ $45m
- PARASITE (K Palme d’Or winner) -- $ 16m/ $62m
- AVENGERS: ENDGAME ($360mb) -- $ 12m/ $2.742b (needs $46m)
- MA ($5mb) -- $ 11m/ $52m
- POKEMON DET PICACHU ($150mb) -- $ 10m/ $420m
- CHASING THE DRAGON 2 (Chi action) -- $ 10m/ $40m
- SHAFT $30mb) $ 8m/ $8m
- LATE NIGHT ($13m Amazon pickup) -- $ 5.4m/ $5.7m
- A CITY CALLED MACAU (Chi gambling drama) $ 4m/ $4m (opening week)
- WHISPER OF SILENT BODY (Chi med mys) $ 3m/ $3m (opening week)
- THE DEAD DON’T DIE (Jarmusch zombie) $ 3m/ $5.4m
- GOING VERTICAL ($11m; Russian basketball) $ 2m/ $56m (highest grossing Russian film in nation’s history)