Monday, July 27, 2026

BURNING WOOD'S 40 ESSENTIAL NEW ORLEANS ALBUMS

 

BURNING WOOD'S 40 ESSENTIAL NEW ORLEANS ALBUMS
 
Guest post by Sal of Burning Wood
 
I'm not sure what to call this list. Are these essential? To me they are. Are they the "best" of New Orleans? To me they are, but I know some people who'd disagree. These records have been in regular to heavy rotation since I first heard them. I am including surrounding areas, as well--Lafayette, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, etc. I've also made bold, those that I'd give 5 stars. Nothing here would get less than 4 stars, by the way.

From A To Z by artist.

C.C. ADCOCK–S/T (AKA House Rocker) **** 1/2 
C.C. ADCOCK–The Lafayette Marquis ***** 
JAMES ANDREWS–Satchmo Of The Ghetto **** 
LOUIS ARMSTRONG–Complete Hit Five & Hot Seven *****  
BONERAMA–So Much Love **** 
JAMES BOOKER–Classified ***** 
JAMES BOOKER–Junco Partner **** 1/2 
JAMES BOOKER–Live At Montreux **** 
JOHN BOUTTE–Good Neighbor **** 1/2 
BOBBY CHARLES–Bobby Charles *****   
JON CLEARY & THE ABSOLUTE MONSTER GENTLEMEN–S/T***** 
JON CLEARY–So Swell **** 1/2 
FATS DOMINO–Complete Imperial Recordings ***** 
LEE DORSEY–Yes We Can ****  
DR. JOHN–Gris Gris **** 1/2 
DR. JOHN–In The Right Place ***** 
SNOOKS EAGLIN–Complete Imperial Recordings ****  
GALACTIC–Ya-Ka-May **** 
GALACTIC & IRMA THOMAS–Audience With the Queen ****
DONALD HARRISON–Indian Blues **** 
THE IGUANAS–Nuevo Boogaloo **** 
THE IGUANAS–Plastic Silver 9-Volt Heart ****   
LIL' BAND O' GOLD–Lil' Band O' Gold ***** 
LIL' BAND O' GOLD–The Promised Land ***** 
THE METERS–Fire On The Bayou ***** 
THE METERS–The Meters ***** 
THE METERS–Rejuvenation *****
STANTON MOORE–III ***** 
NEW ORLEANS NIGHTCRAWLERS–Atmosphere **** 
NICHOLAS PAYTON & DOC CHEATHAM–Nicholas Payton & Doc Cheatham **** 
PRESERVATION HALL JAZZ BAND–Preservation ***** 
PROFESSOR LONGHAIR–New Orleans Piano *****
STEVE RILEY & THE MAMOU PLAYBOYS–Grand Isle ****
IRMA THOMAS–After The Rain ***** 
IRMA THOMAS–Simply Grand **** 1/2 
IRMA THOMAS–Time Is On My Side: The Best Of ***** 
ALLEN TOUSSAINT–Southern Nights ***** 
DR. MICHAEL WHITE–A Song For George Lewis **** 
THE WILD MAGNOLIAS–*The Wild Magnolias **** 
THE WILD TCHOUPITOULAS–The Wild Tchoupitoulas ***** 
 
--30--  

No comments: