Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Showtime Renews "Brotherhood"

I feel sorry for Showtime. They've delivered some very good shows that get tons of press, shows like "Weeds" that unfortunately can't seem to get arrested when it comes to viewers. They must shake their heads and wonder what they're doing wrong. The only shows that have clicked commercially are the gay ones: "Queer As Folk" and "The L Word." Their most recent drama -- "Brotherhood" -- got exceptional reviews but no one watched it, including me. (It's hard to commit to a show you think will disappear right away.) I just got the DVD set of Season One and was wondering whether I should tackle it. Would anyone care what I thought about a cancelled series no one had watched? Happily, Showtime is sticking with it and bringing "Brotherhood" back for a second season. At the same time, HBO is cancelling its sitcom "Lucky Louie." It's the rare pay cable show that doesn't get at least two seasons (even "Carnivale" did). Now if only I could go back in time and get a renewal for "Deadwood" and NBC's "American Dreams."

No comments: