Monday, January 01, 2007

Ringing In The New Year

And what did I watch last night? Along with some movies I had recorded on TV ("The Saint In London" and "The Falcon's Brother" -- two minor baubles starring the suave George Sanders, who commited suicide and left behind a note saying "I am leaving because I am bored"), I watched for the first time "Charade" with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, which was a delightful bauble (Grant was certainly right to insist that the girl be hitting on him, rather than the other way around) and the 1939 adventure film "The Four Feathers," in my never-ending pursuit to watch any and every movie released in 1939, the greatest year for movies in Hollywood history. "Feathers" had some nicely grim moments, but frankly I was hoping for more. It's not "Gunga Din" or "Stagecoach," two far superior adventure films from that year. The romantic leads were a bit dull, with Ralph Richardson and others keeping things lively with their supporting turns. Still solid overall but no patch on the book.

No comments: