Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Evan Dando: A Proper Rock Star

I've never been gaga over Evan Dando, though he does have a way with a tune (at times). But who knew he was such a good rock star? His latest comeback (with the Lemonheads, no less) prompted an interview chock full of juicy details and quotes:
Ten years ago, Evan Dando nearly became a dead rock legend. Due on stage at Glastonbury, he was instead in bed with supermodel Rachel Williams and singer Alice Temple, along with a large bag of heroin.
Well, that's an excellent reason for being late. He also suggests wearing a Marine Corps cap when driving.
"It's great to wear if you get pulled over by the cops: you get better treatment"
And finally, on his troubled relationship with addiction.
"I certainly live a healthier lifestyle," he continues, "but I'm no angel. I don't like alcohol, but I still like to mess around with other stuff occasionally. I think it's important I take mushrooms and acid. They're certainly not addictive, so I can't rule that out. Every six months or so I'll take some mushrooms, because I can't let go of that completely. And I don't want to."
Good on ya, Evan. If nothing else, you're a proper rock star.

No comments: