Monday, July 24, 2006

Second Chances

When I was about 14 years, "Nicholas Nickleby" was going to open on Broadway in 1980 in a production that was universally acclaimed as one for the ages. I wanted to see it desperately. I had to see it. I needed to see it. And I had the money, since I'd been working at Publix grocery stores for several years. No, I'd never been to New York City (my family lived in Florida at the time) but a good friend of the family (a nun) did. I tried to convince my mom it was perfectly reasonable for me to fly to NYC, stay with the nun and buy her and me $100 tickets to see the show (which took one long marathon day or two days to see). For some reason, it didn't happen. That and missing Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park in 1982 are two big regrets that have colored the rest of my life. If I really want to do something, I do it, even if it makes no financial sense or would set me back years in college. This hasn't helped my debt load but it has helped me to live my life without regrets. If you're REALLY going to be sorry you missed something...don't. Now a revival of "Nicholas Nickleby" has opened in the UK. If it transfers to London, you know where to find me.

No comments: