Tuesday, August 15, 2006

New York Film Fesitval Highlights

More announcements from the NY Film festival. Joining the opening night film "The Queen" by Stephen Frears are centerpiece film "Volver" by Almodovar and closing night film "Pan's Labyrinth" by Guillermo Del Toro. Both were highlights of Cannes for me, especially "Pan's Labyrinth" (better translated as "Faun's Labyrinth" since it's not Pan himself but just a generic faun that appears in the film). I haven't liked any of Del Toro's movies prior to this one. It's certainly in keeping with his other work, but I'm a sucker for fairy tales and the classic structure of a fairy tale and the historical setting kept his wilder impulses in check, I think. Also unspooling is a restored print of Warren Beatty's "Reds," which I've always imagined I admired a little bit more than I should. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

No comments: