Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Quill Award Nominees

It's the second year for the Quills, which hopes to bring some of the glamor and attention of the Oscars and Grammys and Emmys to the book industry. Here's a link to the five nominees in all the major categories. Poetry is especially weak, but the five best fiction novels is a decent list:

Black Swann Green by David Mitchell (I have GOT to read this guy)
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
March by EL Doctorow
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post sent me to Amazon to order Black Swan and Water for Elephants. I already have the others - thanks for the tip, I am always looking for good new fiction and historical non-f.

I always want to keep a book forever (I don't even lend them) so I always buy Hardcover. My biggest annoyance with the big box stores is they only have the HC for a short time, after that it is only in SC. I would like to support the small stores but I buy so many books I need to find places that offer discounts. The small stores have to have a higher price point to make their margins.

Michael in New York said...

I like to support small stores too but I won't pay $6 more a book to do it. I hate getting rid of a book I've read too. (And I've got bookcases full of books waiting to be read so it's pretty crowded in my house.) Hardcover is certainly preferable to paperback for keeping, but since I read on the subway and when commuting, I often keep the hardcover but read it in pb for the sheer convenience of size and weight.