Friday, November 17, 2006

All You Need Is "Love"

The new album "Love" -- a smooshing together of different Beatles tracks to accompany a Cirque Du Soleil show in Las Vegas -- comes out next week. Sure, I'll buy it because it says "Beatles" on it and it's new. I've never been able to do that with a proper new Beatles album, just reissues, so buying "Anthology" or "1" or this is as close as I can get. Billboard says anticipation is high among the four remaining music stores in the world. I haven't been to Vegas to see the show but I was sort of intrigued...until I saw them perform on Leno. It was the most embarrassing, godawful thing I've seen in ages. The dancers cavorted around a Volkswagen Beetle (of course) dressed in Sixties finery. It looked like something from a very bad Seventies variety show or more exactly it looked like a PARODY of an early Seventies variety show. And the "mash-ups" of different tracks were mild at best. This ain't the Grey Album. It sounds much more like those Stars on 45 megamixes. Ugh.

No comments: