Monday, November 06, 2006

Doogie Howser Comes Out!

See what happens when my family comes to visit? I miss all the good news. This is the second time in a few weeks a TV star has come out to a delightfully ho-hum reception. TR Knight of "Grey's Anatomy" came out and the fact that no one blinked an eye was -- I hoped -- a sign that other actors could take heart and come out too. That's exactly what happened since Neil Patrick Harris -- the star of "Doogie Howser MD" and the breakout hit of "How I Met Your Mother" as the womanizing Barney -- has now come out too. He's hilarious as a cad in "Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle" (playing himself, I might add) and I've seen him on Broadway in "Assassins," where he truly blew me away. A very talented actor and happily -- since I never watched him as "Doogie" when he was young -- I don't mind saying how pleased I am he's come out. Hey, he is 33 after all.Unlike Richard Chamberlain, mentioned in a USA Today roundup of gay TV docs, these actors have come out at the height of their careers, which makes it even more impressive. And here's the best part: in a week, no one will care and he'll keep doing the great work he's doing and get every role he deserves.

No comments: