Thursday, January 12, 2006

Open Thread

So I go to my local diner to grab some lunch yesterday at around 5 p.m. My mom says it can't be lunch if it's 5 p.m. And I say lunch is a state of mind. The place is empty of customers when the radio behind the counter starts playing the Bee Gees hit "Tragedy." A few seconds later, two men come in and sit down at a booth. One of them middle-aged and frumpy; the other younger and better dressed. He's even wearing a tie. The frumpy guy says, "One thing you have to admit about the Bee Gees: they had a distinctive sound. When you hear the Bee Gees, you know it's the Bee Gees. And that Andy Gibb was a good-looking guy. Very good-looking. Like that George Michael. He was very good-looking. I have to admit, when I found out he was gay, I was--" [His voice drops and I can't hear what he says. Was he surprised? Sickened? Amused? Nonplussed? Angered? Disappointed? Frustrated? Fearful? Titillated? Shocked? Saddened? Pleased? Confused? Aroused? Bemused? Hurt? I'll never know. A moment later, he starts speaking in a louder voice again.] "And George Michael hasn't had a hit in what, 10 or 15 years?" And then no one is talking except the Bee Gees, who say, "When the morning cries and you don't know why, it's hard to bear/ With no one to love you/ You're going nowhere/ Tragedy."

No comments: