Thursday, February 16, 2006

Demand Networks Stop Running Their Shows Long

Fox and ABC both screwed over their viewers last night. Fox ran American Idol to 9:03 and ABC pulled similar trick with Lost. Those overruns used to be a cute innovation (pioneered by NBC) to create "flow" from one show to another and keep people from switching the dial. But now, with Digital Video Recorders, Tivo, or even VCRs in virutally every home, all these tricks do is frustrate and annoy viewers. People with VCRs can miss the last seconds of their show. People with DVRs find themselves cheated out of a chance to record a second program because the box recognizes Idol as running from 8 to 10 p.m. for taping purposes. Call ABC at 212-456-7777 and let them know you're mad. Call Fox at 310-369-1000 and tell them to stop jerking us around. Go on the message board of Lost and American Idol (you have to register) and politely let them know how annoying this is. If you don't complain, they'll never stop.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't tape Idol, House and Lost and now I know why. Very annoying. I'll let you know what they say.

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how many times I've screwed up and missed the end of a show because of all that stupid stuff. Very annoying.

Anonymous said...

They just listend to my complaint and said thanks for calling. Of course, if 1000 people do it, they'll start to pay attention.

Anonymous said...

They just listened and said they'd pass it on. registering on those message boards is too much trouble.

Anonymous said...

Now I have proof for my fiance that I didn't actually mess up the recording causing her to miss the last 30 seconds of her shows...

Michael in New York said...

Another marriage saved by Popsurfing! Can we come to the bachelor party?

Anonymous said...

That is a REALLY annoying practice. I'm gonna call.