Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Al-Jazeera Can't Get Arrested

The Arabic news channel -- which is repeatedly banned in many Muslim countries for its hard-hitting reporting while attacked in the west for being a mouthpiece of those very same countries -- can't get any traction in the US, says Variety. It's launching an English language version worldwide on Wednesday, but talks to carry the channel on Comcast have fallen through. (Comcast is the major cable company in Detroit, which has the largest Arab American community in America.) It's still struggling to make something happen on the satellite networks as well. I've got about 200 stations on my cable system and I sure wouldn't mind checking out Al-Jazeera myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can get it on a special satellite uplink but I am afraid of being investigated if I link it up.

Michael in New York said...

You mean the half of the world that hates freedom, obviously.