Monday, February 13, 2006

Are the 70s the New 80s?

Barry Manilow isn't the only 70s stalwart topping the charts. In the UK, Leo Sayer -- who had two chart toppers here with "When I Need You" and "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" -- must feel like dancing again: his relatively obscure Top 40 hit "Thunder In My Heart" has been remixed and hit Number One in the UK. Meanwhile, Manilow bows quickly to the inevitable and admits he is working on a followup CD called The Greatest Songs of the Sixties. I remain puzzled that Manilow says he thought covering songs of the Fifties was a bad idea and just didn't get it. (What's not to get?) But you gotta love his honesty about pushing his CD in every venue possible:
"I'm a media slut right now," he quips. "Don't be surprised if you find me on the Weather Channel."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The British are insane.

Anonymous said...

I don't get the headline?

Michael in New York said...

I just meant there's been an 80s revival recently and now perhaps we're returning to the 70s again. That's all.

Anonymous said...

I hope he saves his money this time around. This has to be his lastgasp.