Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Village Voice Pazz & Jopp Poll

Here's the annual roundup -- polling dozens of critics around the country to compile one of the few best-of lists that is ecelctic and interesting...even if you can almost predict the winner. This year it's Kanye West, followed by MIA. He made my singles list but I just can't put his three star album (out of four) on my best-of list, though it's an improvement on the debut. As for MIA, I probably need to hear it in a club after a few drinks for maximum effect. Must admit, I'm disappointed by the low showing of Neil Diamond, the Eels and especially The Magic Numbers. And darned if Christgau's personal list didn't remind me of one album that got lost in my pile. (You wouldn't think I left any CDs off my list considering how expansive it is, but there you are.) The missing CD: a terrific compilation on import called Golden Afrique Vol. 1 and 2. About $40 each for two CD sets, but it only seems a hefty price before you play them. If you loved Graceland and (hopefully) got turned onto African pop via a compilation like The Indestructible Beat of Soweto, here's your chance to get excited all over again. A great primer.

No comments: