Monday, November 06, 2006

Grammy Preview; Viva "Volver!"

Roger Friedman of FoxNews.com is right to say that "Volver" seems destined to be a major Oscar hopeful. Penelope Cruz gives her best performance and surely she and the film will get nominations. After all, Almodovar is an Oscar favorite. Friedman also delivers a smart Grammy preview. I think "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley is the Record of the Year, but I'm surprised he thinks the album is a lock for a nomination too. I hope Springsteen is more of a given than he says, and it would be cool to see the Dixie Chicks ride the coattails of the Bush backlash (they MUST perform their song "Not Ready To Make Nice" on the show) but I can't make too many predictions because I always get confused about what's eligible. And I would LOVE it if Corinne Bailey Rae gets a Best New Artist nod. The Grammy nominations are announced December 7.

No comments: