Monday, January 08, 2007

Alicia Keys A Lesbian?

It was news to me that Tracy Chapman had dated Alice Walker. Now apparently I might be behind the times on Alicia Keys. The Guardian in the UK does a nice profile for Keys and her first big film role. They treat her intelligently and reference the idea that many people think she's gay, let Keys avoid the topic with dignity and then don't play any cute guessing games. Given the context, I'd have to imagine perhaps she is. Am I being dense? Is this well known? In any case, she's a major talent and if her third album is better than her second (which was better than her first), it'll be great.

6 comments:

altmike said...

Love you Michael but given your angle on this I feel like you are actually begging us to "play cute guessing games"....I don't think this is what you wanted.
Not sure why you brought this up at all.

Anonymous said...

I think Alicia Keys is a very talented and beautiful young woman. I believe she is a performer who's sexual orientation issue will not overpower her talent - such as KD Lang and Tracy Chapman. But, I have no problem playing the guessing game - my guess is that she is.

Michael in New York said...

Well, altmike, just pointing you towards a good profile of Keys and (trying to) admire the adult, un-coy way the British press raised the issue but kept it in context and didn't make it a focus of the story. That was all.

I have no objection to people playing cute guessing games -- why wouldn't everyone want someone they admire/are attracted to be available to them at least in theory. it was the traditional media's inability to discuss the issue mildly I was referring to, not the natural curiosity that wonders if someone is gay, straight or bi.

Michael in New York said...

On the other hand, altMike, I was having my cake and eating it too, wasn't I? Guilty.

altmike said...

Oops sorry to revisit this one late in the game but I owe you an apology. I quickly read this post and thought YOU were saying to "Let Keys avoid the topic with dignity and then don't play any cute quessing games."- meaning, I thought these were your thoughts though actually you were just summarizing the Guardian article. A friend pointed this out and said I had misinterpreted which is true. Sorry! (if this makes sense)

Anonymous said...

she beutiful and talented but is so obviouse she's gay