Thursday, February 02, 2006

Disney's Record-Breaking Week On The Pop Charts


Who says kids don't love musicals? Earlier I posted about the Disney Channel's TV movie High School Musical. It was a monster in the ratings and now the album is exploding on the charts. Billboard just released more facts on it. The album is in the Top Ten and the soundtrack has spawned eight tracks on the Hot 100. Four make their debut this week, another ("Breaking Free" by Zac Efron and Vanessa Anne Hudgens -- pictured) jumps from 86 to 4, the biggest jump in Billboard history. Eight songs in total hit the charts -- they ranked at #4,#28, #34, #35, #43, #62, #67 and #72. Oh and it's almost all entirely due to digital download sales, which should put to rest the fears of record labels I talked about earlier.

2 comments:

Michael in New York said...

I guess I'm the only music chart geek. I would pour over the Neilsen and Billboard charts the way other kids poured over baseball scoreboxes. (Now I do that too.) But 8 singles on the Hot 100 at once is crazy. I haven't been this tickled by a pop run like this since Madonna had her amazing string of 16 Top 5 hits from '84 to '89.

Anonymous said...

who is tht girl he is with? sorry that has nothing to do with the subject.