Friday, February 03, 2006

New Broadway Musical On Johnny Cash: Clueless?

I've been sort of intrigued by Ring Of Fire, the new Broadway musical that uses the music of Johnny Cash in a revue to tell his life story. Why? Because it got good reviews out of town and it's created and directed by Richard Maltby Jr, a veteran theater composer with good taste. But then I see this crazy, clueless quote from him on the thousands of songs he had to go through for the show:
“I was looking for songs in which there was talking, and he wrote more of those than I originally thought. I knew I had to use the really famous ones, like ‘A Boy Named Sue,’ ‘I Walk the Line,’ and ‘Folsom Prison Blues,’ or people would be upset. For the rest, I looked at the content to see how funny or sexy or moving the songs were. I know some people don’t expect the music of the ‘Man in Black’ to be any of those things.
Huh? People don't expect the songs of country icon Johnny Cash to be funny or sexy or moving? Is he insane? Now I'm wondering if Maltby ever listened to Cash -- or any country music -- before doing this project.

No comments: