Saturday, February 04, 2006

Western Union Telegrams: RIP

This Independent profile of playwright Edward Albee -- timed to the London premiere of the marvelous revival of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? starring Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin -- casually mentions that Albee once worked as a messenger for Western Union. And that reminded me of a one-line item I saw in the paper this week: Western Union has discontinued telegrams and will focus only on wiring money. After 150 years, the telegram is no more. What will people make of The Human Comedy starring Mickey Rooney (or the book by William Saroyan)? Who will explain to people the shots in films of someone wandering through a hotel lobby saying, "Telegram for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith? Telegram?" Sad.

BONUS: What was the text of the very first telegram (sent by Samuel Morse)? It was: "What hath God wrought?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the last telegram?

Michael in New York said...

They didn't say, but it was delivered on Friday, January 27, 2006.

NYCD Online said...

I still remember the only two telegrams I ever got -- both in the late '70s, both at sleepaway camp in the Catskills. One was from my godparents, wishing me a happy 10th birthday, and the other was from my mom, just looking for an interesting way to say hello. Unfortunately, because they came to the front desk at camp, I never got to tip the Western Union guy, which was part of the whole experience, I suppose.

Michael in New York said...

You received a telegram? I watched so many old movies as a kid, if I received a telegram, I probably would have fainted out of fear, assuming my dad had disappeared on the frontlines (even though there was no war on) or my whole family had perished and I was being shipped off to a cruel uncle (who would of course eventually warm up to my winning ways and shower me with love and money but still, the idea was traumatic). Sounds like a cool mom.